Chances are you are not yet over partying in this festive season. Maybe you want to host a kid-free ‘adult’ party; no ankle biters. Well, pack away the plastic plates and roll-out the good times with 10 perfect party cheats for those who err on the lazy side. You don’t have to sell a kidney to throw a fabulous party on a shoestring budget…. or maybe a dental floss budget.
Entertaining is at its easiest in the summer. There’s a relaxed vibe and holiday mood with guests just going with the flow… and they flow out to the garden too. So do a weather check a couple of days before your party and have ‘Plan B’ in case the weather decides to lay on some rain.
No-one wants to party with a pooped-out host so go easy and don’t expect to be a super hero. Just enjoy the ride and tweak these perfect party cheats to pull off the perfect party day.
1. If you plan to entertain more than 12 guests then DELEGATE. Hire waitstaff and/or cleaners. If you have a small budget, the best money you can spend is on a bartender – 12+ guests will keep them busy all night leaving you free to mix and mingle.
2. Serve seasonal food and look for recipes that have little or zero cooking time. Such as
– freshly shucked oysters with a chilled Pinot
– a cold soup such as avocado and mint with yoghurt
– cherries with vanilla bean ice-cream and espresso
3. Think of one thing you can do BIG, such as a centrepiece of fresh oysters with slices of lemon. Use a three-tiered cake stand, or fashion wire, to provide structure and pile those tasty suckers high.
4. Everyone always buys too much ice, so put one bag back and buy two more bottles of wine or spirits instead. Champagne usually goes first and fast so grab another couple of bottles too.
5. Do you have enough toilet paper? You’ll be surprised how many toilet rolls 12+ people can get through, and that’s one thing you don’t want to go without.
6. You don’t have to host a dinner. Breakfast or brunch can be less demanding and possibly less expensive, given people don’t usually drink as much alcohol early in the day.
7. Ask your local cake shop or cafe to provide one of their speciality cakes but large enough to feed all your guests.
8. Perfect party cheats are simple and chic so leave gimmicks to a minimum. If you must, choose a cool idea – like novelty lighting or fun name tags – and execute it really well.
10. And finally, work to your own strengths to create a personalised event. It’s not always about the food.
Do you have your own perfect party cheats? Please share with me and other readers; we’d love to know your little secrets 😉
Have a FABULOUS New Year and ROCKING 2016.