Delicious winter recipes start to be on the weekly menu when colder weather hits. But ‘comfort food’ doesn’t have to unhealthy.
While it’s tempting to consume bigger meals to stay warm, many of us struggle to resist filling foods that may not be the most nutritious option. So you’ll love these easy and delicious soup and egg brunch winter recipes.
Eating more doesn’t always mean eating badly, and comfort food can be healthy as well as hearty. Making smart decisions like drinking more water, increasing your vegetable intake and including more grains in your meals are excellent ways to improve your diet this winter.
Many people underestimate the nutritional benefits of grains and don’t know how easy it is to integrate them into a healthy winter diet. Specialist grains like quinoa and wholegrain Basmati rice are hearty, robust ingredients loaded with nutritional goodness –perfect for the basis of winter recipes.
Grains are high in fibre, can help lower cholesterol and are a dream to cook with. They soak up flavours like sponges and are easy to source. Low to medium on the glycemic index, basmati and wholegrain basmati are digested more slowly without causing sharp spikes in blood sugar levels. Nutritionists have suggested this helps to suppress appetite and keeps you fuller for longer.
There are some simple and delicious ways to incorporate more grains into your diet and wonderful soup and egg brunch winter recipes for warmer comfort packed with nutritional goodness.
- Dinner – Add specialist grains to bulk up stews, casseroles and soups e.g. an oven baked risotto using wholegrain basmati.
- Lunch – A bowl of cooked quinoa or wholegrain rice with a teaspoon of olive oil stirred through, some lemon juice, salt and pepper with a tablespoon of chopped fresh coriander and parsley stirred through.
- Lunch or Dinner – A steamed or grilled chicken breast with some chopped celery and cubed feta. This dish can be served hot or cold. For alternatively options – substitute the fish for salmon, celery for cherry tomatoes, quinoa for wholegrain rice.
LIGHTLY SPICED VEGETABLE SOUP : Serves 4
- 1 pouch of Tilda® Garden Vegetable and Quinoa Basmati rice
- Olive oil
- 1 red onion – chopped
- 1 celery stalk – chopped
- 1 carrot – chopped
- 1⁄2 red chilli – finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of Moroccan seasoning
- 750ml of Vegetable Stock
- 1 can chickpeas – drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Natural Yoghurt
- Chopped CorianderMETHOD
- Heat 2tbsps olive oil in a large pan
- Fry onion, celery, carrot and chilli for approximately 5 minutes
- Add Moroccan seasoning and fry for 2 minutes
- Pour over vegetable stock
- Add chickpeas and Tilda® Garden Vegetable and Quinoa Basmati riceand heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with natural yoghurt and chopped coriander.
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes
SPICY TOMATO & EGG BRUNCH ‘SUNDAY BRUNCH RECIPE : Serves 4
- 1 pouch of Tilda® Brown Basmati & Quinoa
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1⁄2 a red onion, diced
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1-2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- Large handful of spinach
- 4 eggsMETHOD
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and add the onion and mushrooms, cook for 3-4 minutes until they start to soften.
- Stir in the tomatoes and then add the puree, paprika and cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Towards the end, heat the pouch of rice according to pack instructions and stir into the tomato mixture along with a large handful of spinach.
- Season with plenty of ground black pepper and salt to taste. Crack the eggs into the tomato mixture and allow to cook until the eggs are set to your liking.
- Serve straight from the pan.
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Tilda®’s entire product range contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives, are easily digestible and gluten free making them ideal for people who are gluten intolerant or diagnosed with coeliac disease.
Tilda® Brown Basmati & Quinoa Steamed Rice and Tilda® Garden Vegetable & Quinoa Steamed Rice are available in Woolworths with an RRP of $3.39 for a 250g pack and available in Coles and selected independent retailers with an RRP of $3.29 for 250g pack.
Tilda® Brown Basmati & Quinoa Steamed Rice has been awarded The Grocer’s Top Launch of the Year 2014 accolade in the UK Rice, Noodles and Pasta category.
For further information about Tilda® rice visit http://au.tilda.com/
What’s your favourite comfort food? How do you enjoy hearty and healthy winter recipes? Do you have any other soup and egg brunch recipes you’d like to share?