Who doesn’t love strawberries? They are packed with anti-oxidants, can replace a ‘sweet treat’, are healthy, plump, juicy, ruby-red and delectable. Whether they re dropped into champagne, dipped in chocolate, wrapped in a fluffy pancake or decadent on a cheese platter, strawberries will brighten up any plate.
Did you know that a cup of slice strawberries contain ONLY 54 calories? They are guilt-free and perfect fro the whole family. Slice them onto cereal or porridge, chuck a handful in a smoothie with milk, yoghurt and a banana, pop them in the kid’s lunches, or dice with apple and orange for a sweet after school snack.
So when I saw this different way to cook with strawberries I wanted to share it with you. Peppered Strawberry Pizza…say what?
Peppered Strawberry Pizza
1 x 250g punnet Victorian Strawberries, washed and hulled 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze
1⁄2 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
1 large pizza base
2 tbsp tomato pizza sauce
1⁄2 red onion, finely sliced into half rings 150g cooked turkey, sliced
75g brie cheese, sliced
60g rocket, washed
- Preheat oven to 250°C.
- Slice the strawberries width ways into 1 1⁄2 cm pieces. Place in a large bowl and stir through the balsamic vinegar and the pepper to cover evenly and leave to marinade for 10 minutes.
- Spread the pizza base with the pizza sauce leaving a 2cm edge.
- Add the onions and the turkey to the strawberries and mix through the marinade. Distribute this topping over the pizza base evenly, then top with the brie and drizzle any remaining marinade over the top of the pizza.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the base is crispy.
- Cut pizza into 8 slices and top with the rocket. Serve immediately
Kitchen Tip: This is a great way to use your left over Christmas turkey or ham.
Love healthy food with a fruit base? Try one of the five delicious persimmon recipes Eloise posted here on Don’t Call Me Penny. From muffins to asian cold rolls, you’ll be very surprised at how delicious and versatile are persimmons.